by Steph Drahozal, Marketing Assistant, Salsa
What is a social media ambassador? A social media ambassador is a leader in their community who promotes and protects a specific brand (or cause, or issue). They are crucial to expanding your audience and growing your online list. You don’t need a million different ambassadors, just a few that are willing to act on your behalf and share your content with their followers. They can be your own staff members or external promoters.
Ready to identify who to ask to be your social media ambassadors? Your ambassadors should:
- Be knowledgeable about your issues/organization
- Be active and already publicly advocating for you on your social media channels (commenting often and positively)
- Be passionate about your organization
- Have an audience who trusts their opinions and recommendations
Now that you’ve identified great social media ambassadors, how do you reach out to them? You shouldn’t have to do much searching because social media ambassadors have a tendency to find you. You will start to notice familiar faces in your Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn worlds. They will be the people that are excited about your organization and sharing your content. All you need to do is get your ambassadors to meet each other. Create a group and give it a fun name where members get special treatment for their loyalty.
You should reward them for their efforts regularly, and you can do this by:
- Sending them a simple thank you message
- Recognizing them in media communications
- Inviting them to contribute articles or photos to your blog, emails or newsletters (as it makes sense, of course)
- Giving them the opportunity to attend one of your events, or volunteer for your organization in a unique way
Social ambassadors will help expand your audience reach, increase likes/comments (attention to your organization) and save you valuable time in helping promote your cause. Don’t forget to provide them great content and information to help you share!
To learn more download our free ebook, The Essential Guide to Growing Your Online Support for Nonprofits. This new guide helps you connect and engage with current donors, volunteers and activists, and tells you how to reach out to new supporters using the online tools and content you’ve probably already got in place. It covers things like storytelling and choosing the best message for each medium, but also goes into things you might not know a lot about yet, like SEO, SEM and leveraging text messaging.