Have you finally gotten used to writing the year “2016” yet? And, how are those New Year’s resolutions going?
We may not be able to help you with any of those nagging personal fitness goals, but we can help whip your nonprofit communications into shape this year. One of the best ways to learn is from those who’ve already walked many, many miles in your shoes...and were willing to blog about it! However, with so much awesome content out there (yours truly included), it’s often hard for new and/or rising nonprofit leaders to know where to begin.
Well, we’re here to help steer you in the right direction! The following blogs and sites lay a strong foundation in core nonprofit concepts, skills and lessons straight from the trenches.
But this list is nowhere near complete! We’ll be adding to it periodically throughout the year, so if there are any blogs out there you simply can’t live without, please give us a shout!
Happy viewing! (Feel free to binge-read or indulge at your leisure.)
Marketing Blogs (When Your Goal is Always More)
- Osocio: Dedicated to social advertising and non-profit campaigns. It is the place where marketing and activism collide.
- John Haydon’s Blog: John Haydon, author of “Facebook Marketing for Dummies”, shares his tips on social media marketing for nonprofits.
- Getting Attention: Helps nonprofits succeed through effective marketing.
- Frogloop: Multiple writers cover topics like social media, content marketing, and everything in between.
Nonprofit Strategy Blogs (When “Strategy” is Your Favorite Game)
- Social Fish: All things related to social media implementation and strategy, community management, social tools and technologies for nonprofits, social business and more.
- Big Duck Blog: Communications firm, Big Duck, shares insights from working with nonprofits to help reach supporters, raise awareness and raise more money.
Data & Analytics Blogs (When You’re A Data Nerd...and Proud Of It)
- Beth’s Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media: One of the longest running and most popular blogs for nonprofits. Beth Kanter is the co-author of books "The Networked Nonprofit" and "Measuring the Networked Nonprofit".
- Search Engine Land - SEO: Get lots of helpful SEO tips and insights useful for any nonprofit.
- Moz Blog: Get ready to dive deep into the wonderful world of marketing analytics.
Nonprofit Industry (When You Include Nonprofit in All Your Introductions)
- Equals Change: The Ford Foundation blog covers a range of causes important to the nonprofit sector including education, arts and culture, sustainable development, media, technology and movements shaping the world.
- National Council of Nonprofits Blog: Identifies emerging trends, share proven practices, and promote solutions that benefit charitable nonprofits and the communities they serve.
- Nonprofit Quarterly: Provides credible, research based articles for nonprofits about management, governance, philanthropy and public policy.
- The Nonprofit Times: Leading business publication for nonprofit management targeting nonprofit executives.
Fundraising Blogs (When You’re All About Raising More Dollars for the Cause)
- Double the Donation: When looking for insights and ideas on raising more money from corporate philanthropy programs there is no better source than Double the Donation's blog.
- #FundChat: Stories for fundraising professionals about donor-centric marketing and communications.
- Future Fundraising Now: Blog for the serious nonprofit fundraiser on topics ranging from donor demographics to creative tips for fundraising.
- Nonprofit Nate: Hear it from professional fundraiser and blogger, Nathan Hand. He talks causes, capacity and philanthropic change.
Advocacy Blogs (When You Can’t Rest Until There’s Justice)
- Independent Sector: Leadership network for nonprofits, foundations, and corporations committed to advancing the common good.
- Bolder Advocacy: An initiative of Alliance for Justice, this blog aims to demystify and decode advocacy by equipping organizations with knowledge and tools.
Nonprofit Thought Leadership Blogs (When You Need To Summon Your Inner Guru)
- Nonprofit Tech for Good: This blog helps nonprofit marketers to stay on the tip of the cutting edge of tech and social media.
- Nonprofit Marketing Blog: This blog aims to bring you the best in nonprofit marketing trends, fundraising techniques, technology developments and amazing nonprofit examples to help, encourage and inspire the do-gooders of the world.
- Kivi's Nonprofit Communications Blog: As an award-winning author, trainer, and adviser to nonprofit marketing and fundraising professionals, Kivi Leroux Miller shares lessons and best practices from the field.
Nonprofit Life Blogs (When You Just Need to Shake It Off)