by Steph Drahozal, Marketing Assistant, Salsa
What is peer-to-peer fundraising?
Peer-to-peer fundraising is when you empower your supporters to raise money from their peers on your organization’s behalf. Your organization’s job is to create the right guidance and tools to allow supporters to create their own personal fundraising campaigns.
Why is it important?
A 2010 Millennial Donor study shows that 71.7% of millennial donors said they would be willing to communicate with friends and family about ways to be involved in an organization they support.
The average donor gives $50 while the average fundraiser raises about $500. That is a big difference and can mean a lot to your organization. Also many supporters fundraise more than once, so consider a one-time $50 donation compared to multiple $500 contributions.
Peer-to-peer fundraising is a great way to attract new donors. In just a few clicks, your supporters can share your mission and ask for contributions from their network of friends and family. You then have access to your network’s network.
Peer-to-peer fundraising also increases engagement and relationships between peers. It creates a fundraising community that works for the collective good, which can be very powerful and create social recognition. It allows people to take action and make a difference.
How do I create a successful peer-to-peer campaign?
- Have a compelling story and message to get people intrigued in your cause. Personal stories/blogs are very effective.
- Have a clear picture of impact and let the donors know where the money is going. Give them examples of how their contribution is helping.
- Have a deadline to create urgency- it encourages people act sooner rather than later.
- The fundraising page should be easy to use. Creating/donating to a fundraising page shouldn’t be like filling out a job application. The easier the process, the more likely your supporters will turn into active fundraisers.
- Make sure to thank all your donors and keep a good relationship with them.
To learn more download our free ebook, The Essential Guide to Growing Your Online Support for Nonprofits. This new guide helps you connect and engage with current donors, volunteers and activists, and tells you how to reach out to new supporters using the online tools and content you’ve probably already got in place. It covers things like storytelling and choosing the best message for each medium, but also goes into things you might not know a lot about yet, like SEO, SEM and leveraging text messaging.